Wednesday, December 12, 2012

10 Good Things to Know About Sweden!

This is a really cute video about 10 things you should know about Sweden. I think I have covered about 7/10 on this blog, so not bad. I have plans to cover at least one more (that no spanking one!) but haven't had the chance yet.

I don't know much about the company that put this together so can't say much there. It looks like some of what they do is part of the 'job coach' switcheroo that the Moderate government launched when they took control of the government a few years back. This was a move that meant that instead of increasing unemployment benefits, which have not been raised for years if you don't have private additional insurance, the government pays a bunch of job coaches to cheer the unemployed on to getting a good job. Because obviously the Unemployment Office wasn't doing enough.

In many ways this has created a lot of jobs for the unemployed, who now are job coaches. But considering these people have had limited success in the job market themselves, I have questioned how exactly the have helped those who struggle to find work -- who cannot get a job as a job coach.

A recent study showed that the job coaches had not done much to improve the situation for the unemployed. Once again, a chance where the Swedish government could have just called me, and I could have told them this ahead of time. (They should have also called when they made the brilliant choice to have the post office no longer work with the post).

But as I said, I don't know this particular company, and they make really cute videos -- and the teach SFI. So I feel OK about posting this here!


1 comment:

  1. That is a really nice video :) It is so true about the dress code, bit of a shock to me when I moved to England. Dress up for work, down for the pub, not the other way around :) And about following the rules, my husband teases me all the time.

    ReplyDelete